

- The Burial Ground Site is located at 290 Broadway between Duane & Reade Streets
- Discovered in 1991 because federal government was building an office building
- Is 1 mile north of Wall Street.
- Restrictions were placed on burial ceremonies
- Number people could be no more than 12
- Could only happen while the sun was out, which against some African customs
- 360 human remains were excavated:
- 92% of African origin
- 45% were children/younger than 6 years old
- Artifacts were also excavated
- There are estimated to be about 10,000 to 20,00 interments
- Is now designated as a national historic landmark
Facts from:
- Mr. Swirbul's handout
1. African Burial Ground Memorial 3-perspective view:
http://discoverblackheritage.com/african-burial-ground/
(viewed 10/6/11)
2. Street Sign:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/06/nyregion/06burial.html
(viewed 10/6/11)
I wish we could have seen this creative and wonderful memorial today. For one thing, this was an important but often overlooked part of the city's history. The memorial has much to teach us about the slave experience. In addition, it would have been interesting to compare it to the 9-11 memorial and consider how we as a people choose to remember or memorialize the past (architecture, etc.). This could certainly be a destination for your independent trip into the city!
ReplyDeleteAlthough we couldn't see the African Burial Ground, the pictures you put up of it look beautiful. I think it's so interesting how it was only discovered in 1991 because of the federal government. I also think it's crazy how many people were buried there. There were so many slaves in NYC.
ReplyDeleteActually, to be accurate, the federal government did not discover the burial ground (a construction company digging a foundation did this), but it did intervene to stop construction and require that part of the burial ground be preserved for history's sake.
ReplyDeleteI really wish we had time for this stop on our tour, I would have really enjoyed to see this is person. Its amazing that no one knew about it until 1991! Imagine if they never went to build the office...then who knows when it would have been discovered. This is a very beautiful landmark and I hope I get to see it in person someday. Its interesting to compare it to what we saw that the 9/11 memorial, so different.
ReplyDeleteits truly a shame that we could not get to this stop on the tour. its a beautiful work of art that is unique and holds a lot of meaning. what truly impressed me was not only the beauty of the grounds but also the time of discovery and amount of bodies discovered. it puts a more modern feel on it than something like trinity church. it also would have been interesting, as Mr Swirbul said to have been able to compare two modern memorials.
ReplyDeleteI really wish we could have seen this site on our tour, because I find it fascinating. It is amazing how much historians learned from this accident that took place so few years ago. It was interesting to hear about the rituals preformed by Africans regarding the burial ceremony. This really makes you question what other hidden treasures are under the surface of NYC.
ReplyDeleteI'm so disappointed that we didn't get to see this! I think it's so interesting that something like this could have been hidden for all those years. This shows that there's history that's yet to be discovered in a place that we act like we know so much about. I didn't get to hear the presentation in class because of early dismissal but I plan to research the African Burial Ground because I find it extremely interesting.
ReplyDeleteMaybe one or more of you will go back to check it out (and the museum inside the building, too)?
ReplyDeleteOh, and bonus points if you get your photo taken with "Ranger Doug" of the Park Service. This guy is a real character ...
ReplyDelete