Thursday, October 6, 2011

Trinity Church


-Bought for an annual rent of 60 bushels of wheat
-Built and rebuilt 3 times
-First church was built in 1698
-British military and political base during the revolutionary war
-Second church was built in 1790
-Third, and current, church was built in 1846
-Church spire was, for a long time, the highest point in NYC

4 comments:

  1. Seeing Trinity Church was very cool. I was amazed to hear that it was the tallest building in NY for a long time. Something I would like to know is how much 60 bushels of wheat would be in todays dollar. This church has a long history and today stands as a beautiful part of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's quite symbolic of the priorities of 2 different eras - then and now. Back then, a church spire was the tallest structure, and now corporate headquarters hold this distinction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my tour subject, and I felt that it was really interesting to see it in real life. You could not tell by pictures the size of the church and the sheer beauty of it. Also, to think that it was the tallest point in Manhattan and is now dwarfed by the nearby buildings really made me think about how far we've come technologically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The architecture of this church was amazing. The details that went into the church were absolutely beautiful. I also find it funny that not too long ago it was the highest point in the city, but now many other buildings just next to it tower over it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.