Thursday, October 6, 2011

St Paul's Chapel (9/11 Connection)


  • Located on Fulton and Broadway
  • 18th century Episcopal Church 
  • Right near ground zero
  •  Relief center for 9/11 victims
  • Over 5,000 people volunteered their services 
  • Offered massage therapists, home cooked meals, medical attention
  • Known as the  “Barbeque on Broadway” 

3 comments:

  1. Being at the chapel was very exciting and interesting. After doing so much research it was cool to see it the building in person. Many of the sources I read explained that St. Paul's Chapel was extremely close to the Twin Towers, and I got a real sense of the distance by walking from Ground Zero to the chapel. It is amazing that no damage was done, and the church remained completely intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree - and there was a Greek Orthodox church that was destroyed like this. I also have this image of an exhausted and dirt-covered firefighter sitting in the pew where George Washington prayed ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that this chapel played such a big role in 9/11 really inspires me, so getting to go there was really moving. I was excited to hear specific stories about the chapel's involvement in 9/11. I was surprised that they weren't even affected physically from the attacks being that the chapel is so close to the site of the twin towers. I was also really surprised that the chapel took in so many firefighters and people who were in trouble because I would have though the chapel would want a place of worship to remain peaceful and calm no matter what.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.