Thursday, October 6, 2011

Alexander Hamilton tombstone/personal story

  •  
  • Born on January 11, 1755
  • 1777 became a lieutenant colonel in the Continental Army
  •  Assistant for George Washington 
    • Drafted many of his letters
    • sent on important military missions
    • wrote many reports about reforming and reorganizing the army
  • Believed and tried to bring about strong central government
  • Practiced law in New York City
  • 1784 founded the Bank of New York
  • Restored the King's college as Colombia college
  • Died July 12, 1804

6 comments:

  1. Consider: in what ways was Hamilton a "typical New Yorker"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While visiting the grave of Alexander Hamilton was a little creepy, it was also extremely interesting. In many way he was a "typical New Yorker." He came to America as an immigrant, and started with very little. However, he worked very hard to climb the ranks of society. In time, Alexander became one of the most influential, successful Americans. This is a typical occurrence among New Yorkers as most immigrated from foreign countries and were forced to work their way to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed visiting the grave of one of our Founding Fathers. I never knew that he was buried in New York. The story of how he worked his way up the ranks, by hard work from being an immigrant was very inspiring. His success was the true test of his hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexander Hamilton is a typical American success story and can also be called a "typical New Yorker." He came from nothing and immigrated to America but eventually made major contributions to society and married into one of the most affluent families at the time. It's amazing that he became one of our Founding Fathers and the face on the 10 dollar bill. I enjoyed learning about him because I knew barely anything about him before this trip.
    His story shows that the American Dream existed even in the 1700s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexander Hamilton, in my honest opinion, is actually the man that the most interesting man in the world in the commercials is based off of. For this reason I was especially excited to hear about his incredible accomplishments. I was also unaware of where he was buried so upon finding out that his burial ground is at trinity church; I thought it must have been a great honor. I wish my fascination of the subject was the same feeling towards the presenter. Quite frankly I found there to be little emotion in the presenter’s speech and did not seem to take as large an interest as I did. This is a completely unbiased response and has nothing to do with my opinion of this man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed visiting Alexander Hamiliton's tombstone. I usually wouldn't enjoy going near graves because its kind of creepy but i felt that we were literally standing on history by visiting that particular tombstone. Alexander Hamiliton was a great and important man in history and his actions are still remembered to this day. He is basically apart of our daily lives since he is on the 10$ bill.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.