
Battery Park, NYC
- Battery Park has been popular since the 18th century as a promenade to look out onto the Hudson, but for many decades served as a major defensive area in NYC.
- "Evacuation Day" was celebrated in Battery Park after the departure of the remainder British troops after the American Revolution
- After Battery Park was damaged in 9/11, "The Sphere" was moved from the center plaza of the World Trade Center to Battery Park, and stands along side the "Eternal Flame" as commemoration to those lives lost.
I thought what you told us about Battery Park being in NYC for over 200 years was interesting because things are constantly changing in the city. It's also cool how the British troops departed from Battery Park after the revolution.
ReplyDeleteFor me, this was a prime example of how New York is always changing. Battery Park has had various uses over the past years. Estee clearly explained these various uses as well as what it is used for today. Not only did the uses of Battery Park change throughout the years, also the size changed. Land fill was put in increasing the size of Battery Park.
ReplyDeleteWe always hear about Battery Park whether it is in the news, history, or daily conversations about places to go for a jog. I've never really put a picture to the name "Battery Park,"or associated it with anything big in history. But once we stepped foot in the park I was immediately surprised to see the statue of liberty, Ellis island and governors island. Battery Park is an extremely important park in the city. Ashley, I totally agree! Battery Park is a big example of how the city is always constantly changing. It was once used for immigration purposes but now just for luxury. It was cool being able to walk around Battery Park and stand on the actual land fill..
ReplyDeleteIt was fascinating to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in the same view. It was my first time ever going to Battery Park, and I liked the amount of points of interest there were, and the history of Battery Park itself. It is also interesting how something that used to have a larger significance (immigration) is now a place for leisure, which signifies the changes of New York City, and the impressiveness of Battery Park itself, how it did not end up becoming a foundation for another skyscraper.
ReplyDeleteI loved visiting Battery Park, because although I have heard about it many times, I have never actually been there. It is gorgeous, and being that it is right on the water makes it all the more beautiful a place to spend time. I found it very interesting that it was still around after so long, because of the pattern of change seen in the city that we have discussed in class. However, true to New York style, it has in fact undergone numerous changes. I also was surprised to hear how much of the park was actually on top of landfill.
ReplyDelete